School Suspensions and Exclusions
The School Suspensions and Permanent Exclusions guidance details the legal responsibilities for those who suspend (fixed period exclusion) and permanently exclude pupils from educational settings, including:
- local authorities
- governing bodies
- academy trusts
- independent review panel members
- independent review panel clerks
- special educational needs experts
It governs the exclusion of pupils from:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- academies and free schools
- pupil referral units
Statutory guidance sets out what schools and local authorities must do to comply with the law.
A guide for parents on school behaviour and exclusion is also available.