Sometimes there may be areas where a parent, carer or young person is not happy following all the advice and support they receive about the provision in place through the My Support Plan (MSP) or Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). If this is the case, there are routes available to progress at a more formal level.


We would advise that where there is a need for support or an area of disagreement, in the first instance try resolve this as soon as possible. Parents, carers and young people should always talk about this with their education provider or the Local Authority (LA). To discuss with the LA, you can contact Special Educational Needs Assessment and Review Team (SENART) by phone on 01924 302465 or email

Last updated: 9/7/2023