Please review and correct the information below.

Home Back

Education Health and Care Plans

Education, Health and Care Plans

All nurseries, schools and colleges must make sure that they can teach all the children/young people who go to that provision. They must use different approaches and strategies to ensure that children and young people with a wide range of abilities and interests all make progress. Some children, however, need more than this. This is likely to be because the child:

  • Makes little or no progress, even when teaching has been targeted
  • Has emotional difficulties
  • Has communication or interaction difficulties
  • Has sensory or physical needs and does not make progress, even when using specialist equipment

If a child is not making the progress that should be made, schools/education providers and services should work with the family to support the child/young person and identify their needs and how best to support them.

Please click on the series of steps below to find out more information.

What is an Education Health and Care Plan?

Who can request a statutory assessment for an EHC Plan?

What happens once a statutory assessment has been requested?

A request for a statutory assessment for an EHC Plan should be made from an educational setting if ALL the following criteria are met:

To make a request for a statutory assessment, the child or young persons' educational settings will need to provide evidence of:

Additional information

How the Education, Health and Care Plan Process Works

An Example: A Pathway of Support for Children, Young People and their Families


Child/young person needs support which is additional to or different from that normally available:

For pre-school children: plan and implement Early Years provision, including Portage Service and Early Years SEND Team recommendations

For school aged children: plan and implement provision across the Waves of Intervention - identify:

  • Wave 1 (Quality First Teach strategies),
  • Wave 2 (group interventions),
  • Wave 3 (individual interventions as appropriate).

Make this provision explicit through Individual Education Plans, Individual Behaviour Plans, One Page Profiles and Provision Timetables.

Liaise with the child/young person and their family leading onto Phase 1.


Initial request Lead practitioner identified Lead practitioner meets with the child/ young person and family Planning meeting My support plan review meeting held
Family or professional request co-ordinated support Someone already known (or allocated) to the child/young person agrees to co-ordinate the support An initial meeting takes place and the family and young person agree who to invite to the planning meeting The Planning Meeting will agree a coordinated plan - "My Support Plan" Outcomes and actions set at the meeting are reviewed. The support will either:
  • End
  • Continue
  • Move to phase 2



As a result of the My Support Plan meeting further advice, evidence gathering or referral is need. Once further advice/evidence has been gathered/received a further Planning Meeting is held.

Following this the coordinated support will either:

  • End
  • Continue
  • Move to phase 3



This can be done when the My Support Plan demonstrates that a coordinated plan is already in place AND where the child/young person needs something which is additional to or different from the support in Bands 1 - 3 of the Wakefield SEN Matrix.

PHASES 4, 5 and 6

Local Authority (Special Educational Needs Assessment and Review Team) receives a formal request for a statutory assessment for an EHC Plan Wakefield Education, Health and Care Panel (EHC Panel) considers the information and decides whether there is sufficient evidence to proceed to a statutory assessment. The Local Authority informs all parties of the decision and requests reports if these are not already available as part of the My Support Plan process.

Request agreed?
Date for planning meeting to agree a draft EHC Plan is set. The nominated SENART Officer coordinates and chairs the meeting with the Family/child and young person to draft the EHC Plan to be submitted to EHC Panel for agreement and funding agreements

Request not agreed?
Coordinated support continues through My Support Plan

Draft plan submitted to EHC Panel for confirmation of the plan and the resource allocation

EHC Plan issued

Please note: The timeframe for Phases 4 to 6 is 20 weeks


The first review of the EHC Plan must be within 12 months of the initial plan and then every 12 months after that. This can be reduced if necessary.

Additional information

Further Details and FAQs

The following gives further details on Education, Health and Care Plans and the areas around them. If you still can't find the information you are looking for then please view the range of downloadable attachments or contact us directly.

Further details on Education Health and Care Plans

An Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is a single multi-agency plan for children and young people aged 0-25 who have Special Educational Needs or Disabilities. It replaces statements of Special Educational Needs (SEN) as part of the Children & Families Act 2014.

Not all young people who need extra help will have an Education, Health and Care Plan. Many young people will get the extra help they need from the nursery, school or college or from the support of a range of other agencies. An Education, Health and Care Plan will be put in place where a greater level of individual help is needed to ensure that a child/young person makes progress. It will be put in place following an assessment of the child/young person's education, health and care needs, not just educational needs. It is designed to make sure that all the child/young person's needs are assessed and supported at the same time.

An Education, Health and Care Plan puts the individual child/young person and their family at the heart of the assessment and planning process, to make sure that their views and needs are both heard and understood. The process looks at what is important for the child/young person both now and in the future. It does this by setting "outcomes" which are what everyone hopes the child/young person will be able to do as they grow up.

The Local Authority is responsible for overseeing and maintaining the Education, Health and Care Plan, working in partnership with the child/young person, family, education setting and other support agencies to ensure that it is accurate and meets the needs of the child/young person. The plan needs to be agreed by the family and those working with the child. It is a legal document which everyone will have to follow.

An outcome in an Education, Health and Care Plan is what it is expected the child will achieve. These can be many and varied; both long term and short term. For example an outcome may be for a child to learn enough number skills to be able to live an independent life, to make themselves understood anywhere they need to or to have good relationships with their family and others. The Education, Health and Care Plan will be clear about what outcomes are planned and what support needs to be put in place to do this. The parents and child/young person are at the heart of this because they know best what needs to happen in the child/young person's life to make it better.

The plan must be reviewed at least once a year. It will say how much money the Local Authority and Health Authority will provide to support the child/young person. The plan will go with the child as they move between schools, services and into college or further training.

More information on how the Assessment Process works

In Wakefield we want to make sure that when a child/young person needs extra help because of their Special Educational Needs or Disabilities, they are supported as soon as possible. Lots of work is done by schools and support services to try to ensure that the right level of support is put in place and this all needs to be joined up if it is going to work best.

When a child/young person needs more detailed extra support, the education setting will work with them and the family to complete a My Support Plan. This is a working document, led by the education provider, which looks at the help a child needs and how it will be put in place. The schools will review the plan regularly with all those involved with the child/young person, including the family, to ensure that the needs of the child/young person are met and that they are progressing. As part of this process the child/young person and their family will have the chance to say what is and is not working and what they think needs to change.

For some children/young people this plan will be enough to work from, for others they will need to progress to an Education, Health and Care Plan. Where a school, parent, child/young person or other agency feels that needs are not being met, and this is agreed at a review meeting of the plan, the My Support Plan should be sent to the Local Authority to request an Education Health and Care Assessment. The Education, Health and Care Assessment will last for up to 20 weeks from start to finish and includes various stages to establish both if an Education, Health and Care Plan is needed and, if so, what support should be put in place.

Once a request to assess is received by the Local Authority, a casework officer will contact the parent to provide any support and explanation that they might need. The request will then be discussed by the Education, Health and Care Panel, a multi-agency panel with the responsibility for making sure that assessments are agreed and progressed with the right level of support.

Following this the Local Authority will gather information from a range of people involved with the child/young person and arrange a meeting with parents, child/young person, education setting and other involved agencies to agree appropriate outcomes and how they should be met. This meeting is a partnership between the family and the professionals involved to make the right decisions for the child/young person. The meeting will centre on the needs of the child/young person and what they want to achieve and will be used to draft the Education, Health and Care Plan.

The Local Authority will then complete the draft Education, Health and Care Plan and it will again be discussed by the Education, Health and Care Panel. The panel will agree whether a plan is needed based on the information provided and outcomes discussed and agree any extra additional funding to support these outcomes. Parents will then be sent a copy of the plan to agree. If, for any reason, the parent does not agree with some of the plan, the Local Authority will work with them to try to sort out any concerns or areas of disagreement. If they still do not agree they can formally appeal the process. The Local Authority will provide them information as to how to do this. The Local Authority will also help parents to go to a mediation service if this will help sort out any disagreement. Once agreed and finalised, the plan will be regularly reviewed and updated as the child/young person progresses.

What is a 'My Support Plan'?

My Support Plan should identify how the delegated budget and access to services through the Local Offer can be made to support the child/young person, as well as how a range of professionals are offering support.

My Support Plan is a framework to record:

  • What is important to the child/young person and their family and how best to support them
  • Contributions from all advice givers
  • A shared understanding of an individual's strengths and needs
  • What is in place and what needs to change
  • Agreed outcomes and actions

My Support Plan is not a statutory document. However, it is the document which educational settings (including Pre-5 and Post-16 settings) will use to request a statutory assessment. It forms the basis for the subsequent EHC Plan (if determined as appropriate) and should remain in place, even if the decision is to not proceed to a statutory assessment.

Can I choose which school my child goes to?

As part of the assessment process, the Local Authority will talk to parents about which nursery, school or college they would like their child/young person to go to. The Local Authority must follow the parents' choice, unless the choice is "unsuitable for the age, ability, aptitude or needs of the child or unless attendance of the child would be incompatible with the efficient education of others or the efficient use of resources".

This means that the Local Authority will contact all nurseries, schools and colleges a parent chooses but may also contact other education providers such as the nearest school, mainstream or specialist provision. Education providers have 15 days to respond to this consultation. Where the Local Authority consults with an education provider it does not mean that it will be automatically agreed that the child/young person will go there, even if the nursery, school or college agrees it can meet the child/young person's needs. This is because the Local Authority must consider the efficient use of resources. The Education, Health and Care Panel will make the final decision about the education provision named on the Education, Health and Care Plan.

What is a personal budget?

A personal budget is one of the ways that gives parents more choice and control as to how a child/young person is supported. Sometimes some of the money spent on services can be used in different ways to meet the outcomes. This may mean that parents are given the responsibility to organise services themselves and given the money to pay for it. If a parent does want to do this, a plan will be agreed as to how it will be spent to support the child's identified Education, Health and Care needs.

How do I ensure my child gets an EDUCATION, HEALTH AND CARE PLAN?

The Local Authority would advise all parents to work with their child's educational provider on a regular basis to discuss the support in place. If you feel that your child is not progressing or getting the right support you should discuss with the Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator (SENCO) the support in place and how to progress. There are all sorts of things the nursery, school or college can do first to help your child/young person and these should all be tried before the My Support Plan is used and well before a request for an Education, Health and Care Plan assessment is made.

Additional information

Disclaimer Glossary

Special Educational Needs – Introduction

Close window

Wakefield SEN Support – My Support Plan

Close window

Education, Health and Care Plans

Close window

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Education Health and Care Plans

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.